"It's our Enterprise,but it isn't…"
– Captain James T. Kirk, Mirror, Mirror
Star Trek's vision of the future is one brimming with optimism: where cross-cultural cooperation has brought us together and placed an emphasis on humanity's best attributes, while technological progress has made it possible for us to reach for the stars. But what happens when humanity's less noble instincts are allowed to flourish? That is the subject of the iconic Star Trek episode titled Mirror, Mirror, which premiered on October 6, 1967.
A transporter malfunction sends Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Lieutenant Uhura and Chief Engineer Scott into a "mirror" universe: one where everything seemsthe same onboard the Enterprise, but where the crew is comprised of opposite versions of themselves. Even the benevolent Federation has been replaced by a brutal regime known as the Terran Empire, which fosters fear and aggression. While the group tries to find a way back to their universe, each one struggles to impersonate their "evil" counterpart onboard the I.S.S. Enterprise, where torture is routinely used, promotion is achieved through assassination, and where threats of annihilation are used as a negotiation tactic.
Made for the fans! An unforgettable addition to any collection, and an original gift that will be treasured and valued by the Star Trek fan in your life! Order today!
A TRUE CLASSIC! Second of three fine silver coins to feature a pivotal scene from some of the most beloved episodes of The Original Series!
- Part of the Royal Canadian Mint's celebration of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek—a television series that is beloved by generations of Canadians, and whose vision of the future helped inspire innovation in our time!
- The past meets the present in the design: Detailed engraving and cutting-edge finishing technologies bring the characters and setting to life, while the Star Trek font adds an authentic vintage feel to this tribute.
99.99% PURE SILVER! Crafted from 99.99% pure silver, with a limited mintage worldwide.
- An official licensed product approved by CBS Studios.
- Your coin is GST/HST exempt!
Your coin design recreates a key scene from the memorable 1967 Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror. Selective colour enhances the engraved image of an alternate version of Mr. Spock (portrayed by Leonard Nimoy) performing a Vulcan mind meld on Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy (portrayed by DeForest Kelley). McCoy bears a fearful expression while Spock sports an uncharacteristic goatee and altered uniform—evidence that the away team is in a mirror universe where their fellow crewmembers are behaving very differently. Engraved in a special Star Trek font is the word "CANADA", the face value "20 DOLLARS" and the year "2016".
Did you know…
- This was the first introduction of Star Trek's Mirror Universe, but it wouldn't be the last—decades later, the concept was revisited in spin-off series, publishing, and more.
- As head of security, "Mirror" Sulu is seen wearing a red uniform in this episode, which made him the first Star Trek character to appear in all three colours of the Starfleet uniform. He typically wears the gold uniform associated with command, but he briefly wore the blue uniform of science and medical personnel in a previous episode.
Mirror, Mirror also marks the first episode in which Scotty (played by Canadian actor James Doohan) addresses Captain Kirk by his first name, Jim. Otherwise, McCoy and Spock are the few to speak familiarly to Kirk.
- Throughout the series, McCoy is frequently at odds with Spock over the Vulcan tendency to favour logic over emotion; despite their bickering, the two share a mutual respect and a deep friendship.
- DeForest Kelley, who portrayed McCoy, had originally been offered the role of Spock in 1964; he turned it down. Before taking the role as the ship's doctor, whose catchphrases include "I'm a doctor, not a…"
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box.
TM & © 2016 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.